Reporting to the Director of Organizational Development and Employee Health Service, the full-time Occupational Health Specialist is responsible for actively participating in the development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of the Occupational Health Program at Guelph General Hospital. This includes programs to address occupational hazards specific to the healthcare setting: biological hazards (e.g. tuberculosis, blood borne pathogens, influenza and other infectious agents); and physical, chemical and ergonomic/psycho-social hazards. It also includes proactive management of staff safety and wellness programs, support for our short-term disability management program, WSIB claims, and assisting the hospital to meet new and existing legislative standards, while supporting the values of the hospital – Respect, Accountability, Compassion and Teamwork.
- Follow up on workplace injuries and incidents and participate actively in quality improvement initiatives
- Lead Employee Health Quality improvement initiatives to decrease staff harm
- Provide ongoing development of best practices, create and review policies and procedures
- Ensure compliance with OHA/OMA protocols around Communicable Disease Surveillance
- Provide pre-placement health assessments, primary care and immunizations to employees
- Provide education and training to employees on health and safety issues
- Coordinate MSD Prevention programs (SMART MOVES)
- Coordination and Development of “stay-at-work” programming, such as: Healthy Pregnancy, Mental Health Support Strategies, Addictions Support
- Coordinate Annual Flu Clinic
- Wellness Promotion
- Ongoing support for all occupational/ non-occupational illnesses and injuries
- Participate in GGH RTW Program : assessing employee’s fitness to work and appropriate work restrictions
- Liaise with Directors, Supervisors, Human Resources, Employees, WSIB, Unions and Insurance Companies to ensure safe and early return to work, transitional work and permanent accommodation as required
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or equivalent would be preferred
- Occupational Health experience, preferably in a health care setting
- C C.O.H.N. (C) certification or eligible for certification
- Certificate or diploma in Disability Management, e.g. National Institute of Disability Management (NIDMAR) would be an asset
- Demonstrated working knowledge of relevant legislation, e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Human Rights Code
- Demonstrated expertise in Occupational Health and Safety, Wellness programs, WSIB claims management, Early and Safe Return to Work program and Attendance Management program
- Demonstrated experience in employee wellness and program development
- Documented experience providing training and education to staff
- LEAN Yellow Belt Certification would be an asset
- Demonstrated excellence in decision making and critical thinking to perform detailed analysis, identify problems and recommend and implement solutions
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, both independently and as part of a team
- Strong multi-tasking, organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, including documentation and presentation skills
- Strong computer skills; knowledge and experience with Parklane, MS Office and Excel
This position will contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Guelph General Hospital is committed to fostering a safe and healthy work environment which provides equal opportunities to people with disabilities.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume with reference to Job # NU-15-024 to:
While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.