Reporting to the Director of Professional Practice and working collaboratively with the Director of Critical Care Services, this full time educator position has primary responsibility for educational programming within the Critical Care and Step-down settings. In addition the incumbent will play a critical role in supporting the organizations broader corporate wide education initiatives. The incumbent will assess needs, plan, implement, and evaluate educational programs designed to enhance the clinical expertise of our staff. Utilizing adult learning principles, the Clinical Educator delivers interdisciplinary education including orientation of new staff, specialized knowledge and skill development, and continuing education. The incumbent will also advance professional nursing practice (and practice of other disciplines) through leadership, learning and development, and assisting staff in the integration of research into practice. It is expected that this role will be performed in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of Guelph General Hospital. The hours of work will be primarily days, with flexibility to participate in meetings and ensure educational initiatives are made available to all staff.
As a Registered Nurse with a minimum of a Baccalaureate degree in Nursing or a related field, you must have a current certificate of competence form the College of Nurse of Ontario. You are self-directed, independent, with sound clinical skills, and a demonstrated commitment to continuing education. Experience in providing clinical education utilizing adult learning principles and evidence based practice is required. Experience in program planning and evaluation is strongly preferred, and a minimum of five years of recent clinical nursing experience is required. Knowledge in the areas of: IV therapy (peripheral and central) and arterial lines, pain and symptom management, skin and wound care, infection control procedures, hemodynamic monitoring and treatment, cardiac arrhythmias and treatments, and ventilator support required.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Baccalaureate Degree (preferably in nursing)
- Registered Nurse with current Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Member of RNAO with demonstrated knowledge of the RNAO Best Practice Guidelines
- A minimum of five (5) years recent related clinical experience
- Experience in providing evidence based clinical education based on adult learning principles
- Ability to use related computer programs (MEDITECH, Windows, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative practice model with an interdisciplinary team
- Experience in clinically based nursing education and in clinical program development and evaluation
- Current knowledge and experience with quality improvement processes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in decision-making, critical thinking and leadership and facilitation skills
- ACLS required, CCNC preferred
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference to
Job # NU-14-011.
This position will contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.